Pages

Translate

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Eu moro no Brasil?

It's been awhile since I last posted and I thought it was time for an update!  Things have changed quite a bit since the last time I posted.  I am now sitting in my new bedroom on the 9th floor of an apartment about 3 blocks from the beach listening to the music from a concert downtown.  I feel like a princess sitting here with a full sized bed, a private bathroom, and a balcony that has a constant breeze from the ocean.  This alone is a great indicator of my host family's hospitality towards me.  They have been very patient with me.  The first two days that I was here, I understood close to nothing that was said in Portuguese.  Now, after only a couple days of school, I am so surprised by how much I can say and understand! Don't get me wrong, I am miles away from being fluent, but I will admit that I am a bit proud of myself for the improvement that I have had already.
Before I go off topic, I want to write about my flight and school here because these are two things that I don't want to forget!

My Flight
Well, goodbyes are hard, to say the least.  Most people say that they had tearful goodbyes, but mine was a sob-ful goodbye.  I didn't actually realize that I was leaving for a year, until I gave my mom, dad, and sister once last hug.  It still makes me tear-up thinking about it.  But after leaving them, I met Laura Keuhn and Avery Nelson (both flying with me to Brazil).  It was great to have each other to distract ourselves! We wandered the airports and laughed about all the crying that had occurred already that day. Having each other was comforting, but also it made me extremely excited for Brazil! 
After Laura departed for her next flight, Avery and I boarded the plane to Brasilia.  Looking back, this part was the most amusing.  Our plane was scheduled to leave at 9:00 pm, but around 9:25 the pilot announced that our plane was 2,700 lbs overweight.   This meant that they would need to take out many bags in order to take off.  I remember wondering if I would have to wear the dress and pajamas that I brought in my carry-on everyday until my bags were returned!  Luckily, around 9:40 he announced again that they had decided to leave the bags on the airplane that were only on connecting flights.  By the time everything had been rearranged, it was 10:30, and I was anxious to get in the air.  After the flight, I found out that over 100 bags were taken off the plane!  
When we reached ground in Brasilia, we said a quick goodbye before running to check our bags for the next flight.  This part was a little scary because I couldn't figure out which line I should stand in and no one was understanding me when I asked for help.  I would try to explain what I needed, but either they wouldn't know the answer, or they would respond with something that I didn't understand.  It became very frustrating and began to worry that I would not make my flight!
Finally, a blessing came my way.  With the help of an older woman, we found a young man working at the airport that knew some English.  When I explained to him the issue that I was having, he helped me bring my suitcases to the front of the line and then gave me the first open spot to check my bags.  I couldn't stop saying, "Obrigada" to him (the only word I felt confident in at the time) after all was finished.
On my last flight, I loosened up at the sight of my beautiful state.  I looked down and everything was green.  I had no idea there were so many lush forests around my city!  On top of that, I met an amazing Brazilian sitting next to me that increased my excitement infinitely.  We talked to each other about many things, but one thing I remember the most was impersonating the different accents of our own country.  By the time we had landed, I was laughing so hard that I couldn't remember what had been so difficult today.  It was a great welcome into the country!
Upon my arrival, my host parents, my host sister, and her boyfriend were all waiting for me.  I cannot explain how great of a feeling it is to be graciously welcomed by a family after a long, stressful flight!
School
Despite what I've heard from all the previous exchange students in Brasil, I LOVE SCHOOL!  I have never been in a place like this.  None of the students openly judge each other.  Everyone talks together, no matter their appearance or actions.  Because of that, I feel completely comfortable in the school.  Something I heard recently is that there is no direct translation for the word "awkward" in Portuguese.  I think that this is because it's not needed here. People are constantly asking me questions about my life here and in the United States.  There is no time to feel uncomfortable because there is never a pause in conversation!
Another thing that is different about the school is that everyone knows me.  I feel a bit like a superstar with everyone watching as I walk through the school.  I stand out in the sea of brown eyes, brown hair, and typically, dark skin.  People are constantly smiling at me- whether I have met them or not!  I will look across the room, and someone will be staring back with a smile.  
I've also decided to give everyone the option of calling me "Anni" because I have found that sometimes people struggle to remember "Annika."  My favorite part about this nickname is how they pronounce it.  It sounds more like "uhh-nee."  It puts a smile on my face every time I hear it!
The last aspect of school that I adore is the teacher-student dynamics.  Although the students are constantly talking during the teacher's lecture, they have a very loving relationship!  The students are continually making jokes with the teachers in my class, and there is not one hour that we go through without a good belly laugh.  Sometimes, a couple of the boys sitting next to me will tease the teachers and say, "We have an American in the class. Speak English!"  I'm sorry that I can't tell you how they respond... Understanding Portuguese in a classroom full of laughter is a bit difficult!

That's all for now! Hopefully, I will have more time to put up pictures soon.

Goal for the next few weeks: understand Portuguese better!

2 comments:

  1. Annika! It looks like someone has found her home away from home! Even your last text to me made me laugh really hard and I'm glad, and not surprised, that you were welcomed in with a laugh. Have an amazing time and I look forward to hearing more about your experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annika, this is Margaret Colangelo. What an interesting blog! I will be checking in now and then. Have a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete